Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Collard Greens (RAW)

I have been hearing so much about the raw version of collards that I wanted to give it a try. I was apprehensive in the beginning but now that I have looked at some different recipes I think I have found what I would need in order to make this dish palatable for me.

Collards are one of the varieties of leafy greens that tend to be tough and in need of preparation before serving raw. Due to the thickness of the leaf it is perfect for various raw dishes and delivers a spectacular nutrient benefit.I discovered how to make the greens softer. My method is to break down the cell walls of the vegetable without using heat (which is most often used). I purchased them fresh from my local fruit and vegetable market then washed them thoroughly. I removed the stems and placed the leaves flat, one on top of the other. I put them in a plastic bag and into my freezer. The next day I removed them and let them thaw to room temperature. When this procedure is done the leaves are as if they were cooked (not overdone though). In this stage, you can prepare your collards anyway you wish. I proceeded to do the following.


Raw collards, frozen then thawed. Sliced into strips


To get the flavor I like in collards I would have to use a smoked turkey leg (lol). Since I am doing my 365 Day Raw Food and Fitness Fun Daze Craze for 2011, I am using a 95%  raw foods diet (without flesh foods of anykind) for my nutrition needs. The only other way I know to get flavor without cooking is to marinate. My marinate was easy because I only like certain flavors when it comes to my greens. I used Braggs organic RAW apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and a raw salad dressing I prepared earlier that night (see Day#11 for recipe). I don't have any specific measurements for these flavors because I like to approach my raw meals from the standpoint of my mood and physiological need.

In my RAW collard greens I also use sweet red onions, Leeks, and green bell pepper.

Once I have the flavors in place for marinating the greens I add any extra veggie that I may be craving at that time. In this case it was sweet red onions, leeks, and green bell peppers. I add these into the mix and let them all mingle with one another (lol). This meal is full of healthy enzymes and many other wonderful green benefits.


I cover my collards with plastic wrap to allow them to warm and let them happily blister with flavor.

Once all my ingredients are assembled in one bowl I give them some "alone" time (lol). I let them plan their mission of attack against any harmful agents, pollutants, and other toxic elements that they find when I deliver them (via eating them) to my system (hahaha, when you think of it, you are kinda helping your body fight when you eat RAW).
 The plastic wrap helps keep the warm air circulating while the flavors are releasing and coalescing. I will have pictures of the greens when I plate them with one of my RAW meals so please stay tuned!

As always, thank you for taking a moment and reading my blogs I really do appreciate the attention. Feel free to leave a comment if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment